Thursday, January 25, 2007

As my internet is not working, I must use other means of writing my thoughts down until I can get back to my online journal. When that happens, I will post this.Today I began the second week of my experimental journey to find God. I was driving to work today and was sort of praying…I really was just chatting to God. I was about to pray the words “God, be with me today” and it occurred to me that I was praying that wrong. I should really be praying “God, help me to be with You today” You see, He is always with us. It is us, who is not always with Him. I’ve turned myself from asking for a blessing to asking how I can bless Him. Will any of this truly make a difference? I don’t know. We’ll see.Like any dieter, they want to lose weight and they tend to crash diet. Eating nothing but salad not allowing themselves sweets or chips or soda. These diets never work. Such is with a spiritual diet. I have found myself in the past wanting to go totally God. I would feel guilty if I did something that did not edify God. If I read a book (I am quite fond of Harry Potter) that did not help me spiritually, I would feel a bit of guilt for not spending that time doing something that would help me spiritually. I found myself feeling that way today for a moment. Then I had to step back and compare my spiritual diet to my physical diet. Perhaps I may compare my reading Harry Potter (or any other book or movie or activity such as playing Guitar Hero) to eating an ice cream cone. Is the ice cream cone good for me? Not really, in that it has no nutritional value. Is it bad for me? No, not unless that is all I eat. Compare that to my spiritual life…is playing video games good for me? Well, they have no spiritual nutritional value. Are they bad for me? No, not unless that’s all I do. Therefore, it’s okay to create a balance in our activities with those that involve God and feeding our spiritual selves, and those activities that are simply fun. Is it possible to be a spiritual bulimic? Binging on church and anything spiritual so that everyone can see that we are okay. But in secret we are throwing it all up. I can’t quite wrap my brain around that comparison just now. But I know it is there and that I will eventually have a good point with it. A spiritual eating disorder.The bible is a VERY overwhelming book to try and read. Luckily this time around, the radio program I listen to has been doing a study on Nehemiah for a week now. This has allowed the bible to only be the book of Nehemiah for me the last week. I am only up to chapter 4...however I know more about Nehemiah then I ever have in my entire life. I am learning about the man who was Nehemiah. Each time I have picked up the bible I have turned to Nehemiah. I will continue to do my study on him until I know him inside and out. Then I will pick a new person or book to study. The bible is sort of like those books that has 3 or 4 books inside. Kind of like the new Chronicles of Narnia book where they have all the books into one book. I know this doesn’t seem like a revelation or anything that I’ve had. But for me it is. I have often viewed the bible as one book with 66 chapters. Now, I see each of the 66 individual books.It is time for me to delve into the book of Nehemiah again. Yesterday I started reading chapter 4 and I will continue to read it tonight. Pray my internet starts working again. Hopefully I will be able to post this soon.

No comments: